“Finding ballet was like finding the missing piece of myself”.
-Misty Copeland
Ever since I have stopped perusing this art form, due to an injury, I have continued to miss it daily. Through this Genius Hour project, my ultimate goal is simply to be able to dance once again, but more specifically, be able to do ballet pointe. Getting to the point I was at in my dance career in terms of technique and ability, took many years, so being able to dance at that level once again is somewhat of an unreal expectation. I don't wish to be better, or even close to the dancer I was before I was forced to stop, I just hope that through this Genius Hour project, I am able to dance ballet once again, relive my passions and once again feel like my true self.
In order to measure my success, I can compare my technical ability (flexibility, skill and endurance) to that of when I used to dance. Measuring my sides will also be done through examining and comparing my technique to the actual set RAD ballet syllabus in which I used to practice weekly during classes and perform at examinations. This set syllabus will allow me to see how I am doing in terms of regaining the technique and if I am still able to do the things I could before. Another way that I will be able to measure my success is by relearning a ballet routine I did once before to see if after all the retraining I undergo, I am able to recreate the dance piece I had once performed, and know if I have still maintained the skills after all the years away from dance.
So far, just the thought of this process and the idea of getting back into the studio and back on my pointe shoes brings up a lot of different emotions, mostly being excitement and fear. Since it has been such a long time since I have done ballet and I miss it immensely, it creates a huge excitement for me to get back into it and dance once again. At the same time, since it has been so long and having to stop was one of the hardest things I have had to do, I have the fear "what if I can't?" after have been looking forward to being able to try and dance again.
No comments:
Post a Comment