Post #8- Time to Dance

“To dance is to be out of yourself.  Larger, more beautiful, more powerful”.
-Agnes De Mille 


The day I have been waiting for, the day everything has been leading up to was finally here! Today was the day I re-taught myself and performed one of my old dance routines; Blue Bird. 

How this studio session ran is first off I watched the video of the Blue Bird routine. Then I went through it step by step teaching myself the routine. Surprisingly this didn't take more that just a few minutes as it was practically muscles memory from the last time I had performed this routine. My body just somehow remembered all the steps! 

Next step was to perform the dance first on demi-pointe before putting on my point shoes. And just as the quote above says, this is exactly how I felt - and I had not event on the pointe shoes yet! Dancing a ballet routine was a blast. Sure it was not technically as great as I had once performed it before, but the passion behind it was greater. It was a feeling I had missed - the feeling of enjoyment and loosing yourself in something you love - not the pain part.

From this entire process I can now gladly answer my Genius Hour question and say that it was a success. Yes I did rediscover my passion for dance and yes I was able to relearn the skills of ballet pointe. 

Thank you to my Genius Hour for finally helping me Get Back to the Pointe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME!!!

Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! I'm Shawna, a teacher candidate at Brock University, hoping to one day inspire students to be passionate about learn...